Have you ever experienced idea block?
It’s kind of like writer’s block, except your don’t even get to the writing part. You’re still stuck on the idea.
You know that posting engaging content on your blog is important, and also that you need to post it regularly. So the idea block? It’s totally getting in the way of your success.
That’s a crummy, frustrating feeling that can dig away at both your confidence and motivation— but there’s a fix. Keep a list of ideas that you can turn to when your school’s blog needs writing but your brain goes blank.
To get you started, here is a list of 51 blog post ideas you can use to inspire your own topics or, yes, give your brain a break and swipe them, just as they are.
- Create “The Ultimate Guide to [Your School]”
- Answer frequently asked questions
- Go behind-the-scenes of a program
- Post an upcoming events roundup
- Profile a successful alum
- Create a “best of the blog” roundup
- Share the story of your founders
- Give a glimpse inside a new building
- Review an event
- Community spotlight– share stories of local organizations where students can get involved
- Write about local spots to visit during the school year
- Compile a list of books to read over summer vacation
- Take readers on a virtual tour of campus
- Write a “What to expect” post
- Address common misperceptions about your school
- Share your values/principles/mission by writing a “Why we care about _____” post
- List the best study tips for students
- Post about things to do this weekend
- Share tips for creating a successful school routine
- Review a local restaurant
- Write a post that answers why students should choose your school
- Provide tips for getting along with a new roommate
- Make a list of exciting things to do on a rainy day
- Share test-taking tips
- Give advice on how students can stay organized
- Craft mid-term or final exams survival guide
- Share end-of-the-school-year tips
- Share admissions tips
- Write a post on how to choose the right school
- Interview the school president/principal
- Profile a student
- Capture a day in the life of your school mascot
- Share interesting school traditions and their origin story
- Write a “Spotlight on _____” a club/program/sport/activity
- Share surprising facts about your school
- Repurpose a school newsletter or newspaper article
- Let a student guest post
- Promote an event
- Write a teacher profile
- Provide an update to an old blog post
- Post a tutorial
- Share stats about your school
- Write a post that supports and promotes other content (ebooks, video series, etc.)
- Create an infographic and write about it
- Host a giveaway
- Ask readers what they want to see on the blog (then use this as a list of even more ideas)
- Roundup inspirational quotes for students (create graphics for each to make them extra shareable!)
- Start a “_____ of the Month” series. (Get creative with filling in the blank: book, professor, local business, student, major, club, etc)
- Write up a Q&A session with a department head
- Use terminology specific to your school or a certain program to write a “What is…” post
- Write a “Beginner’s Guide to _____” to help ease the mind of potential or incoming students
What are your no-fail, go-to ideas? Share them with your fellow school marketers in the comments below.
Yay, you're on the list! Now, be sure to check your email to confirm your subscription.