Have a question about content marketing? We have an answer. Here are some of the most common questions we hear about content marketing fundamentals.
What is content marketing?
Content marketing is creating original content or sharing existing content that will benefit your audience; developing an appealing hub for your content in the form of a blog, news section on your website, etc.; and then using smart marketing strategies to get your audience to engage with your content and take specific action.
Content marketing is different than a traditional marketing campaign in that it’s not a campaign – it’s an ongoing initiative that evolves over time, constantly being adjusted to meet new goals based on metrics and measurement.
Learn more about the fundamentals of content marketing:
- Why Content Marketing? 14 “Becauses” to Silence the Skeptics
- Content Marketing: Fad or Forever?
- How Does Content Marketing Compare to a Traditional Campaign?
- Is it Content Marketing, or is it Just Content?
How do I start content marketing?
The first step to a successful content marketing approach is the same regardless of industry or school size: strategy. Without a strategy, your efforts will be aimless and less effective (and no one wants that).
As you are developing your strategy, you will define your audience, goals and resources—all of which will help guide every content marketing decision you make. Strategy is an important step that actually makes content marketing easier.
Ready to get started with content marketing? Read on:
- How to Get Big-Budget Results with Budget-Savvy Content Marketing
- 11 Content Marketing Insights for Small Businesses
- Ready to Cook Up Content Marketing Goodness? Plan Your Menu First.
Does content marketing replace other marketing and advertising initiatives?
Not necessarily. But it does alter them.
After developing a content marketing strategy, you should reexamine existing efforts—after all, you will have done a lot of strategic thinking, which will impact your outlook and goals. It’s smart to review your current plans to ensure they still fit the big picture. Sometimes this results in small adjustments, other times it helps weed out efforts that just don’t work or no longer make sense.
Learn more about how to integrate content marketing and other marketing initiatives:
- What’s More Important, Content Marketing or Traditional Marketing & Advertising?
- Get Off the Content Marketing Wheel
- Revamp Your Traditional Marketing Content
I have a small team and limited resources. Is content marketing realistic for my school?
Yes. In fact, you have some advantages over the big guys, including fewer levels of approval and a greater agility that allows you to get work done faster and adjust your approach as needed.
We have helped schools as well as small- to mid-sized business adopt a content marketing approach that works for them, and it usually doesn’t mean hiring extra staff, dramatically increasing the marketing budget or stressing out employees.
You can do it. We’ll show you how:
- Should You Hire or Outsource for Content Marketing Success?
- The Big List of Ways to Get Employees Involved in Content Marketing
- The Rising Role of the Chief Content Officer – and How Small Biz Can Get By Without One
I’m crazy-busy. How do I keep up with the latest news and trends in content marketing?
We have a weekly enewsletter that will help you do just that. Sign up and you won’t miss a thing.
We also recommend using an RSS feeder, like Feedly, as a place to collect your favorite online resources for marketing news. That way, when you have a few spare minutes, you can browse the latest from your favorite websites and blogs. It’s a quick and easy way to stay on top of the news and make productive use of those few minutes between meetings.
Get more time-saving tips for busy marketers, small biz owners & entrepreneurs:
- How to Prioritize Your Marketing & Business Reading List
- Time Management Tips for the Busy Marketer
- Finding Time for Content: 4 Quick Tips
Have a Q that we didn’t A? Send us an email and let us know how we can help.