Storytelling is an art that is never fully mastered.
You learn what works, and what doesn’t. Then: what works even better … and what fails even more dramatically. And you keep going. You push the limits of how you communicate in order to better reach, better connect, and better entertain your audience.
Even storytellers born with an innate sense of how to captivate an audience are always studying, evolving and expanding their craft. As the great Stephen King says in On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft:
“If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There’s no way around these two things that I’m aware of, no shortcut.”
So there’s the not-so-secret secret: the best storytellers are those who learn from other storytellers.
It’s true in fiction writing, and it’s true in marketing. The best way to boost your own skills is to learn from the successes — and failures — of others.
For that reason, I’m excited to be part of the upcoming SchneiderB VirCon 3: a virtual, one-day conference for school marketers.*
On September 17, seven school marketing experts will be coming together to give attendees mini-trainings on a variety of storytelling tips and tactics:
- Andrew Sculthorpe of image seven is going to be diving into analytics, and showing you how to use them to help with school marketing
- Finalsite‘s Rob DiMartino will give you tips on how to best use LinkedIn to your advantage as an education professional
- Jeff Walrich from St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes School will help you tell stories through graphics
- Sarah Mead from Whitby School is talking data: how to get over your fear and embrace data-driven marketing
- Mike Hatfield of Powhatan School will share how to create, produce and use online video in your school marketing — with just an iPhone!
- Rick Newberry of Enrollment Catalyst will give you 25 Facebook posting strategies to boost your school’s social media marketing
And me (Emily Cretella). I will be talking about storytelling online, giving you specific strategies (and a template and checklist!) that will help you transform your school website into a marketing and admissions resource — all through content.
I love this lineup because it covers so many facets of online storytelling, from first understanding the data and analytics, to using specific tactics like video, graphics, social media and your website to tell your school’s story.
Another bonus: If you can’t attend the live presentations, and even if you do attend live, you’ll have access to the recordings for one year. You can watch and rewatch the presentations as many times as you want. Think of it as your personal, professional development library.
Learn more about SchneiderB VirCon 3
I would love it if you would join me for this exciting professional development opportunity. I truly believe you will walk away with tons of actionable ideas for your school’s marketing and communications (I know I’m personally packing my presentation with insights, examples and action items).
So let me know: Will I see you at the SchneiderB VirCon3 this September? And is there anything specific you’d love for me to cover in my presentation? Comment below, or shoot me an email and let’s chat.
*Full disclosure, friends: I am a SchneiderB VirCon 3 affiliate — which means that, at no cost to you, I make some moolah when you use my link to register. Thanks for your support!
Yay, you're on the list! Now, be sure to check your email to confirm your subscription.